Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flap alignment problems - tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vhimsl(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Flap alignment problems - tip Reply with quote

Hello,

If you are encountering alignment problems in mounting you flaps; like an unacceptable gap between wing skin and flap, and or the rolled flap top skin is hitting the flap brace before flap is in trail, I suggest the following:

Inspect the top skin, flap brace, flap hinge intersection and make sure that you have the hinge on the bottom (or where your plans say it should be) with the brace sandwiched between the hinge and the top skin. For some reason, I had sandwiched the hinge between the brace and top skin on my right wing causing the above problems.

I mention this because you most likely won’t catch this when you are measuring to find out what went wrong. This will lead you to the archives where I ‘gleaned’ that the flap prematurely contacting the flap brace is a ‘common problem’ and the fix is to notch the rolled flap top skin. I wonder how many of those ‘common problems’ were the result of a misplaced hinge?

Anyway, the fix is ‘relatively’ simple. Remove the rivets, reposition the hinge to the bottom and rivet back in place. In my case the gap is gone and the flap is in trail when the rolled skin contacts the brace. If not in your case, you will probably need to add a little more ‘roll’ to the flap skin. I used flush rivets where the flap brace steps up on the spar. I also took this opportunity to drill a pin hole in the aileron mounting bracket to facilitate removal and insertion of the flaps when the wing is mounted to the fuselage.

BTW, don’t toss the internal cutouts when you make your templates for the holding the flaps/ailerons in trail. They work great later inside the wing ends for a quick alignment check and also for inserting (or tracing onto 1” foam and inserting those) into the wing tips to give them body while you drill and clecoe..

Regards,

Vince H.
Idaho

RV8 – N8432 (reserved)
The fuselage is at the hanger. I am finishing up wingtips (now that flap problem is solved), submitting FAA paperwork, and emailing the list when I should be in bed.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: