Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
tbonsell(at)luxuria.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Okay, the rudder cable fairleads. The new plans call for them to be
installed on the outside of the skin. Looks crappy. Anybody know of a
reason it can't go on the inside?

Seem to remember seeing it that way on some planes...

Tony Bonsell (tbonsell(at)luxuria.com) CI-FKF
Luxuria + Apparatus Design Communications
535 Cragg Road, RR #3
Uxbridge, Ontario L9P 1R3
Voice: 905.852.3848
http://www.luxuria.com

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
randy(at)rjhebertassoc.co
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

Tony
If you run them inside they won't line up with the rudder horn

I am not there yet but it seems that it would require some pulleys to
make it work.

Do Not Archive

Randall J Hebert

Hi Guys!

Okay, the rudder cable fairleads. The new plans call for them to be
installed on the outside of the skin. Looks crappy. Anybody know of a
reason it can't go on the inside?

Seem to remember seeing it that way on some planes...

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
ch701builder

Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Location: N38.9947,W105.1305,ALT. 9,100'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

Tony,
I have seen them both ways on flying planes. My plans also show inside, but there are planes flying that have them both ways.

Randall has a good point, although I am not at that point either, to see if my set of plans will work with my rudder horn or not.

(Wow some traffic on the new Zenith701801-List)

Keith
http://picasaweb.google.com/ch701builder/SN4765
CH701 -- scratch -- currently working on baggage area on rear fuselage
N 38.9947
W 105.1305
Alt. 9,100'

--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "Randall J. Hebert" <randy(at)rjhebertassoc.com> (randy(at)rjhebertassoc.com)

ics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
ronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
ics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
************************************* BestFit Clean Clean false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} <![endif]-->
*************************************

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
n752ms(at)softcom.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

Tony.

My nylon fairleads are on the inside and work just fine. I don't remember
what my plans called out, but your right, look like crap on the outside.
You may not be able to position them in the same spot as the plans call out,
you may have to slide them a little forward to get it to line up with the
hole in the side skin. It will be a bit more trouble to replace them in the
future, unless you have an inspection hole to allow access.

Mark Sherman
701/912ULS
Painting
---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
ch701builder

Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Location: N38.9947,W105.1305,ALT. 9,100'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

Mark,
My plans don't have any dims for where to cut the hole. It just calls out "General area" for fairleads. What / How did you measure yours to find where to put them?

Keith

Mark Sherman wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "Mark Sherman" <n752ms(at)softcom.net> (n752ms(at)softcom.net)

[...]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

OK
I missed the logic here

I understand now what you are saying. The cables still go outside but
the fairlead itself would be inside is that what you are saying?

DO Not Archive

Randall J Hebert

-
Hi Guys!

Okay, the rudder cable fairleads. The new plans call for them to be
installed on the outside of the skin. Looks crappy. Anybody know of a
reason it can't go on the inside?

Seem to remember seeing it that way on some planes...

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
n752ms(at)softcom.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

Keith.

Let me go out to the shop and look at my plans and the airplane. Give me a half hour.

Mark Sherman
701/912ULS
do not archive

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
n752ms(at)softcom.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

Keith.

OK I'm back. My plans 06/2001 edition 4 have the slot for the cable 5mm high and 20mm long, the center of that slot is located 40mm forward of the center line of 7F1-4, which is the front horizontal tail frame. The bottom of the slot is located 2mm up from the top edge of the bottom longeron. The slot in the nylon is some-what smaller so the cable doesn't rub on the aluminum.

This information is on drawing 7-C-5.

So is that clear as mud?

Mark Sherman
701/912ULS
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
ch701builder

Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Location: N38.9947,W105.1305,ALT. 9,100'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

OK Thanks, I will keep these numbers and see where that leads me. I have also used 80mm gussets instead of the 50mm, and I am thinking about adding another fairlead part at the last gusset, instead of cutting it down to meet the "L" bracket along the bottom of the skin, to make room for the cable.

Don't know yet.

Thanks again,

Keith

[quote] ----- Original Message -----
My plans don't have any dims for where to cut the hole. It just calls out "General area" for fairleads. What / How did you measure yours to find where to put them?

Keith

Mark Sherman wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "Mark Sherman" <n752ms(at)softcom.net> ([email]n752ms(at)softcom.net%3E[/email])

Tony.

My nylon fairleads are on the inside and work just fine. I don't remember what my plans called out, but your right, look like crap on the outside. You may not be able to position them in the same spot as the plans call out, you may have to slide them a little forward to get it to line up with the hole in the side skin. It will be a bit more trouble to replace them in the future, unless you have an inspection hole to allow access.

Mark Sherman
701/912ULS
Painting
---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dj45

Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Location: Jackson MI

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

I put them on the inside on my 801. Also have a access panel in the tail for service. Worked out real well for the remote compass install.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Do not archive

Dan Stanton
N801S CH 801
N226BS CH701
N24DS CH750
tbonsell(at)luxuria.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Rudder Cable Fairlead: inside or out? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I think I'll put them on the inside...

DO NOT ARCHIVE

Tony Bonsell (tbonsell(at)luxuria.com) CI-FKF
Luxuria + Apparatus Design Communications
535 Cragg Road, RR #3
Uxbridge, Ontario L9P 1R3
Voice: 905.852.3848
http://www.luxuria.com

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours