Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford Model A aero mod?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Ford Model A aero mod? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am working on a Pietenpol Aircamper and in my search for Ford Model A motor to power it with I came across sort of a strange motor. It is an air/oil cooled Model A conversion. I got a copy of an old article from a guy that was published back in the 1960's and, based on pictures in the article, it looks like this motor might be a Claude Sessions conversion from the 1930's. Claude Sessions, who was from Illinois, turned the modification over to Lightening Aircraft Motor Company of St. Paul, MN. They then passed it on to Universal Aircraft of Ft. Worth, TX. That seems to be the only trace of history I can find on this thing.
Anyone out there ever hear of anything like this?
I'm interested in the history of the motor and what it was used on and if this was a successful engine or a flop.

Thanks,

Matt

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Ford Model A aero mod? Reply with quote

Matt

This will seem like it coming from left field but might you consider a
redrive VW as a engine for your Pietenpol? My understanding is that the
Pietenpol is the ultimate experimental. It has had any number of engines
with low cost being the general theme. I have a friend that has a
continental powered Pietenpol and is helping another friend finish a Ford
powered Pietenpol. We have discussed the redrive VW and it looks like a good
match for the plane. It might be a bit overpowered and light but that isn't
usually a problem in aviation.

I have a Kolb MKIIIC with a Redrive VW and it is a wonderful low-cost power
plant. There are a bunch of WWI replica airplanes that are using the redrive
VWs and they have been very happy with the cost, power and reliability.

Just thought you might find this interesting.

Rick Neilsen

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jrccea(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Ford Model A aero mod? Reply with quote

A VW won't be overpowered on a Pietenpol Smile
JimC

---

drogers(at)maf.org

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Ford Model A aero mod? Reply with quote

I know several guys who have flown or will fly a Pietenpol with a
Corvair. Seems to work great!

Dan

jrc wrote:
[quote]

A VW won't be overpowered on a Pietenpol Smile
JimC

---

MF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Model A aero mod? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies.
I have had a couple of Ford guys contact me off the forum. I have some info on the way regarding this type of conversion and if I learn anything good I'll post it here.
I'm pretty sure I want to go with the Ford. I saw a Ford powered Piet years ago and filed that away in the gotta-have-one-someday box. The motor I picked up is interesting from a historical and mechanical perspective but I intend to go with the more traditional Ford conversion. I think I'll go through this air/oil cooled motor to see what makes it go, but I don't think I'll fly it. If any of you think of anything else, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

Matt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: