Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to LOM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwuest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have been watching the list for a while and see very little activity. just wondering if anyone is out there?

I just purchased a M332A powered aircraft and am wondering how the product support has been lately? I am keenly aware of the problems in the past, but recently all seems to be quite. Is this because everyone gave up on them or have they improved?

I am aware of the fact that I will have to be the expert on the motor, and I don't mind tickering. The a/c is strickly for fun so never has to fly, I can wait around for parts if need be, just as long as they can be gotten eventually.

Thanks fo any and all input,
Luke in Wisconsin

- The Matronics Lom-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lom-List

bobf(at)feldtman.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

My supercharger band broke on the way to OSH in my Glastar. Hand propped it to start, flew back home and got a band - A&P replaced it all is AOK again. Petr Prokop at LOM in Prague is great. He responds quickly to emails. is very literate in english - they really do a good job of support - and yes you will have to become your own expert. I called Joe Krybus in California and he said no one in Texas knew about LOMs.... apparently a Mr Rundle in Louisiana does

bobf

On 10/1/07, luke wuest <lukester(at)earthlink.net (lukester(at)earthlink.net)> wrote: [quote]--> Lom-List message posted by: luke wuest <lukester(at)earthlink.net (lukester(at)earthlink.net)>

Hello all,

I have been watching the list for a while and see very little activity. just wondering if anyone is out there?

I just purchased a M332A powered aircraft and am wondering how the product support has been lately? I am keenly aware of the problems in the past, but recently all seems to be quite. Is this because everyone gave up on them or have they improved?

I am aware of the fact that I will have to be the expert on the motor, and I don't mind tickering. The a/c is strickly for fun so never has to fly, I can wait around for parts if need be, just as long as they can be gotten eventually. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

10kDA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

I have two projects that will be perfect for the LOM
engines. I have been reluctant to commit to buying a
LOM because there doesn't seem to be a lot of info re:
operating, amintaining, and just plain experiences
with them. The engines seem to be well-designed and
well put together but it sure would be nice to know
how they are with hours on them.

Luke, what airplane do you have?

I heard about Joe Krybus before and that he has
engineered a number of LOM installations on Buckers. I
would imagine he has a degree of familiarity and
experience with these engines. Do you have his snail
mail address?

Thanks,

Chris
--- luke wuest <lukester(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

Quote:

<lukester(at)earthlink.net>

Quote:
Hello all,

I have been watching the list for a while and see
very little activity. just wondering if anyone is
out there?

I just purchased a M332A powered aircraft and am
wondering how the product support has been lately? I
am keenly aware of the problems in the past, but
recently all seems to be quite. Is this because
everyone gave up on them or have they improved?

I am aware of the fact that I will have to be the
expert on the motor, and I don't mind tickering. The
a/c is strickly for fun so never has to fly, I can
wait around for parts if need be, just as long as
they can be gotten eventually.

Thanks fo any and all input,
Luke in Wisconsin

browse
Subscriptions page,
FAQ,

Web Forums!

Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.
http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

daveaustin2(at)primus.ca

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

Robert,
For my files and just in case, would you send me the email addr of Petr Prokop please.
The LOM in the Spitfire is running well but for ocassionally dropping a plug in start-up/run-up. Fortunately I put a cylinder temp probe on all six so can pin it down quickly.
I wonder, to all on this chat, with the "shower of sparks" device, is it necessary to have the plug gaps so small? Could I help the above problem with wider plug gaps, say 22 thou? Any other sugestions?
Dave Austin 601HDS - 912, Spitfire Mk VIII

Spit-inflight-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.05 KB
 Viewed:  882 Time(s)

Spit-inflight-3.jpg

bobf(at)feldtman.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

You'd have to ask the factory, but 0.017 is what they call for. I had thought about maybe converting to autoplugs, but wanted to use Bosch iridiums and you can't adjust those plugs like a regular boot type. I didn't. Just put new plugs in and it runs great. I am showing the LOM/Glastar to a friend who may buy it from me. It is not IFR and I really wanted that in an airplane - and dodn't wnat to spend the money to build it to IFR myself although I could. Flew a Cherokee 235 today. Samy airspeed as the Lom, but twice the fuel burn! 14 gals per hr vs 7 gals per hour. You are smart to have the four cylinder probe system!

Petr.Prokop(at)lompraha.cz (Petr.Prokop(at)lompraha.cz) --A nice guy! Joe Krybus doesn't have an email. He is somewhat curt on the fone, but every word is like gold.He sent us detailed engineering drawings on the engine -

a great guy too!

bobf
On 10/14/07, Dave Austin < daveaustin2(at)primus.ca (daveaustin2(at)primus.ca)> wrote:[quote] Robert,
For my files and just in case, would you send me the email addr of Petr Prokop please.
The LOM in the Spitfire is running well but for ocassionally dropping a plug in start-up/run-up. Fortunately I put a cylinder temp probe on all six so can pin it down quickly.
I wonder, to all on this chat, with the "shower of sparks" device, is it necessary to have the plug gaps so small? Could I help the above problem with wider plug gaps, say 22 thou? Any other sugestions?

[b]

lwuest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: New to LOM Reply with quote

Hello All,

Sorry it took awhile, I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks.

I bought the M332A powered Hatz built by Lorin Wilkinson in the 1990's. It has a 28 volt engine system, with a Narco Voltage Converter to 12 volt for the rest of the a/c. Knock on wood, so far it is running very well. Starts on the second blade with the SlickSTART magneto booster.

Has anyone put a oil filter on their engine or just the screens? An thoughts? Also what fuel are you burning, 100LL or autogas?

Thanks for the info,
Luke

daveaustin2(at)primus.ca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

I put an oil filter on the return line to the oil tank.
Was using autofuel 87 octane, but since it now contains 10% ethanol I
decided not to risk it and use Super grade Shell which so far has no
ethanol. (Canada).
I'd be interested on other people's comments on this one.
Dave Austin 601HDS - 912, Spitfire Mk VIII - LOM 337CE

bobf(at)feldtman.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

The builder of my glastar put a auto type oil filter - spin on type on my 332B. The oil seems very clean - absolutely nothing in the screens when I have check them at 40 hrs and 85 hrs (CI) - I don't burn autofuel due to 1.) the risk of getting ethanol (I don't care about the engine - it is the unkown gaskets and O-rings that couldd issolve!) and 2.) burning only 7 gals per hr, I don't mind the exorbitant av gas prices - better than the 30 gal per hours in my twin commander!

Do you guys have oil drip problems? and radio noise (I suspect the spark plug wires)

bobf
glastar 125GS

On 11/27/07, Dave Austin <daveaustin2(at)primus.ca (daveaustin2(at)primus.ca)> wrote: [quote]--> Lom-List message posted by: "Dave Austin" <daveaustin2(at)primus.ca (daveaustin2(at)primus.ca)>

I put an oil filter on the return line to the oil tank.
Was using autofuel 87 octane, but since it now contains 10% ethanol I
decided not to risk it and use Super grade Shell which so far has no
ethanol. (Canada). [quote][b]

jeayers1(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

I have a Lom M332A on my RV-3. It came as a 28 volt system, but I converted it to a 12 volt system. I installed the SlickStart in place of the LOM vibrator.

I had oil temperature problems from the beginning. I installed a oil cooler and an oil filter between the engine outlet and the oil tank. The oil temperature dropped 25 degrees C. The oil temperature now stays in the middle of the green arc in a continuous climb from sea level to 15,000' AGL. Before the addition of a small oil cooler, I couldn't climb above 11,000'.

I use 100LL.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

--

daveaustin2(at)primus.ca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

Bob,
Yes to both of your questions.
[quote][b]

bobf(at)feldtman.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: New to LOM Reply with quote

Dave - I figured - I bought some special Magnecor spark plug wire, and figured out what kinda auto spark plug would fit - I just can't figure out how to take the spark plug wire off the magnetoes. They seem to be rather tightly connected or pushed up in there. Might end up emailing Czechoslovakia..... I broke the supercharger band and had to hand prop start it on the way to Oshkosh -- they were very helpful in getting me a new band and my A&P put it on. All fixed now.

If I get it fixed so it doesn't make so much RFI on the radio - I wil put a note on the LOM thread here.

Oil dripping I can live with.

bobf

On 11/27/07, Dave Austin <daveaustin2(at)primus.ca (daveaustin2(at)primus.ca)> wrote: [quote] Bob,
Yes to both of your questions.
Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lom-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: