Aux fuel tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
cjhukill(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Aux fuel tank Reply with quote

I'm having an approx 18 gal aluminum tank welded up that will go behind the back seat, with the forward side at the angle of the seat backs to nest right behind the seats. The tank is 14 in. high, 15 in. at the bottom,8 1/2 in. at the top, and 30 in long. It will be easily removable, and will fit thru the baggage door. The tank is pumped thru a Facet, anti siphon pump located just above the tank into a T at the feed line from the left tank. I'll feed off the left tank until there is room to pump aux fuel back into the left tank.
For me, this feed method is preferable to a three position valve that must be selected thru "aux" every time  you switch tanks. I have also added two extra ribs in the baggage floor to allow for the weight, and provide aft anchor points for the hold down straps. The pilot shall have to bear the responsibility of an aft cg consideration that will move forward during fuel transfer, but the plan is to use the tank for long 2 pax flights, with lots of bags in the rear seat footwell area, as we travel from our home on Vancouver Island to Alaska. The potential for a crash with fuel in the cabin is a trade-off for the safety of extra gas over inhospitable terrain, in iffy weather, with few alternates. I will post pictures and plans after I've completed the install.
Chris Hukill
Slowing working QB fuselage

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
ichelva(at)netspace.net.a
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Aux fuel tank Reply with quote

Great idea - was thinking of something similar myself, but haven't yet put a plan into action. Would be grateful for photos/plans once you're done

Indran Chelvanayagam
40228

[...]

wcurtis(at)core.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Aux fuel tank Reply with quote

[quote]I'm having an approx 18 gal aluminum tank welded up that will go behind the back >seat, with the forward side at the angle of the seat backs to nest right behind >the seats. I¡¦m planning something similar but it will be a MAIN tank in the baggage area. It will be fed via pumps from the wing tanks. It will only have an 8 gallons (48 lbs) capacity but it will be easily replaceable with larger capacity for those really long ocean spanning tripsƒº I may increase this standard tank to a full 1 hour at 75% power reserve, so my IFR range would be a full 60 gallons. Initially I was going to use the Andair valve but will use ALL three ports of the Weatherhead for a LEFT-MAIN-RIGHT setting. When all is functioning correctly, selector will remain on MAIN. LEFT or RIGHT would only be used in case of an electrical or pump failure. Could also use the pumps as aileron trim. See details here: http://wcurtis.nerv10.com/9XOther/RV10FuelPlumb.pdf William Curtis http://nerv10.com/

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
redflyer(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Aux fuel tank Reply with quote

Chris,
How do you fill the tank?
Dave
[quote] --

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours