Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aileron bellcrank assembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithhickling(at)clear.ne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Aileron bellcrank assembly Reply with quote

I have just installed the aileron bellcrank assembly on the stbd wing of my XS, with the long arm of the bellcrank towards the spar as shown in the manual. There is around 6 mm clearance between the front of the bellcrank arm and the spar, but I have had to trim the holes in the double rib for the aileron pushrod right back to spar, and the pushrod is still rubbing quite hard on the front end of the double rib that is bonded onto the spar (the double rib seems to be formed as one unit joined at the spar end).

I find this worrying because the bellcrank assembly presumably has constant dimensions and is mounted on the spar, so if mine binds on the spar, it should always happen unless I have goofed and assembled it the wrong way. Should it be mounted with the long arm towards the spar? Have others had to sand back the glass between the double rib that is bonded to the spar? The alternative would be to pack out the mounting brackets with washers, but I feel this shouldn't be necessary.

Help please!

Keith Hickling

Tail, ailerons, flaps completed
Wing reinforcements and W18 plates installed
working on cockpit module
8 months into build

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
g-iani(at)ntlworld.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Aileron bellcrank assembly Reply with quote

Long arm towards the spar is, from memory and the manual, correct.

Sanding the spar between the double ribs should not be necessary.

Have a talk with Andy Draper.

Ian Rickard #505 G-IANI XS Trigear
Europa Club Mods Rep (Trigear)
e-mail mods(at)europaclub.org.uk
or direct g-iani(at)ntlworld.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

DuaneFamly(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Aileron bellcrank assembly Reply with quote

Keith,

My bellcrank clears the rib fine by about 5mm.....no where near
rubbing......the pivot bolt measures about 55mm from the rib and the mounting bolt closest
to the rib and on the spar side is 25mm from the rib. I hope this helps.
Mike Duane
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Jabiru 3300

NevEyre(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Aileron bellcrank assembly Reply with quote

Hi Keith,
Interference [ or not ] of the push rod with the double rib forward web, is
dependent on the thickness of the Redux glue line between the web and the
spar, [ as supplied].Chances are yours has a thick glue line ?
I have seen many that needed the hole relieved all the way to the web, and
some that needed the belcrank brackets to be shimmed aft'.
Use alloy shims, as thick as required, the same size as the flange of the
bracket [ washers will not do !]
Hope this helps ?
Cheers,
Nev.

topglock(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Aileron bellcrank assembly Reply with quote

I had a clearance problem in both of my wings. I shimmed the bellcrank
out with two .063" shims and trimmed out the holes in the ribs. All is
well with 140 hours in the air...

Jeff - N55XS
141 hours...

Keith Hickling wrote:

Quote:

I have just installed the aileron bellcrank assembly on the stbd wing of my XS, with the long arm of the bellcrank towards the spar as shown in the manual. There is around 6 mm clearance between the front of the bellcrank arm and the spar, but I have had to trim the holes in the double rib for the aileron pushrod right back to spar, and the pushrod is still rubbing quite hard on the front end of the double rib that is bonded onto the spar (the double rib seems to be formed as one unit joined at the spar end).

I find this worrying because the bellcrank assembly presumably has constant dimensions and is mounted on the spar, so if mine binds on the spar, it should always happen unless I have goofed and assembled it the wrong way. Should it be mounted with the long arm towards the spar? Have others had to sand back the glass between the double rib that is bonded to the spar? The alternative would be to pack out the mounting brackets with washers, but I feel this shouldn't be necessary.

Help please!

Keith Hickling

8 months into build

--

EuropaXSA276(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Aileron bellcrank assembly Reply with quote

Hi Keith.
I had the same problem. If you look at my build photos in "Chapter Eight
Starboard Wing" you can see two bar shims behind the crank brackets. They move
the assembly aft and give you the clearance you need.

Hope that helps...

Tailwinds
Brian Skelly
Europa XS TriGear #A276
North Texas USA
You can see my build photos at:
www.europaowners.org/brians

keithhickling(at)clear.ne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Aileron bellcrank assembly Reply with quote

Hi Nev, Ron and others,

Many thanks for your responses. It is reassuring to hear others have experienced this. Yes, the glue line between the web of the double rib and spar is quite thick. Alloy shims the width of the bracket flanges sounds good - washers would not support the brackets so firmly I guess.

Regards,

Keith Hickling,
Dunedin,
New Zealand.

8 months into build

Nev wrote:

Hi Keith,
Interference [ or not ] of the push rod with the double rib forward web, is
dependent on the thickness of the Redux glue line between the web and the
spar, [ as supplied].Chances are yours has a thick glue line ?
I have seen many that needed the hole relieved all the way to the web, and
some that needed the belcrank brackets to be shimmed aft'.
Use alloy shims, as thick as required, the same size as the flange of the
bracket [ washers will not do !]
Hope this helps ?
Cheers,
Nev.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: