Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a "380 Error" when trying to access CNW Edit in DSC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyman(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Getting a "380 Error" when trying to access CNW Edit in DSC Reply with quote

The new Null-Modem cable did not help. Not looking good IMO, but I *Think* I know what caused all of this B.S. I beg you - PLEASE read this when you get time. I'm desperate at this point, and I have a good idea where the problem lies - I just need help fixing it.

FYI - Abbreviatons: DSC = Sony's "Digital Sound Creator" software editor; XDP = XDP-4000x; CNW = The XDP's Crossover/Level/Delay settings screen (just to make sure this translates)

A few points: The DSC error I recive is specifically stated as "Run-Time error '380': Invalid Property Value"

Another interesting point: The last time I had the DSC CNW Editor Working succsessfully with the XDP, I saved a few preset files to the PC. When I open those saved CNW Files "Offline", the DSC Application indicates "An invalid setting exists in this file", and closes the application. This seems to coincide with the error I'm getting when trying to connect to the XDP's CNW settings.

The Crux: I think I know what the "Invalid Property Value" is. The last time I succsessfully had the DSC CNW Editor working, I cranked both of the High-Pass (Tweeter) Outputs to "-Infinity dB", essentially muting the Tweeter Outputs (I am no longer using the high-pass/tweeter outputs as my tweets will soon come in at 798Hz or 1.25KHz!!!!). Now when I hook up the Laptop and connect the DSC Software to the XDP, and select "CNW" (As the 'Error 380' Pop-Up Box appears), I see the DSC's High-Pass channels attempting to set the High-Pass channels to +12dB (see this pic for a screen-shot: http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7342/dscerrors2cq8.jpg ). Interesting, huh? None of the X-Over's graphic display will load, and you can cleary see the "High" channels set to +12dB!!! (I set them to 'Negative Infinity', NOT to '+12dB'!!!) As we all know, the CNW X-Over section only allows a maximum of +6dB of boost per output channel (a setting of +12dB is impossible). So I'm assuming the DSC Software is somehow reading (Inverting perhaps) the "Negative Infinity" setting as a "+12dB" setting since +12dB is impossible to select on the XDP. How's that for a "Software Bug"? Baaaahhhhh! Sad

I also DL'ed and tried the DSC version 2.0 available from Matt's site, but it exhibited the SAME issues. It seems these new XDP CNW presets are "Corrupted" as far as the DSC Software is concerned.

Basically, I think I need a way to get the XDP back to its Factory Settings. Is such a "Factory Reset" possible? Removing +12v does not erase the preset memory, and I don't see any type of a "Reset" button on the XDP (I know the C90 has a physical "Reset" Button, but I don't see any such button on the XDP).

Since this problem began, I haven't attempted to upload any new CNW Presets via the DSC Software, as I fear I will loose all of my current presets (that would really suck!). I'm thiking if I created all new CNW Presets "Offline" using the DSC Software, then the DSC's "Upload to DSP" function might work (Create all new Presets offilne, and then try to upload them to the XDP - hopefully "Overwriting" the corrupted presets in the process). I am VERY reluctant to try this, as I fear I will loose my current CNW Presets that are still working in my current setup (I'm worried the upload will fail, and I will be stuck with a "Bricked" XDP-4000x with the "Factory CNW Presets" which are essentially useless with my system). At the same time - even if this DOES fail (and it erases all of my current CNW presets), I'm thinking it would still overwrite the 'corrupted' preset files, and let me back into the DSC CNW Editor (Make sense?). I am really scared to try this (I'm sure you can understand why).

I am desperate, and I would be willing to reimburse any XDP List Member that can help me at this point!!! Information on executing a "Factory Reset", or any confirmation if creating new CNW Presets "Offline" (Using the DSC Software) and then 'Uploading' them to the XDP might work would be greatly appreciated.

I wish I never would have set those High-Pass channels to "- Infinity dB". Who could have known this would cause me so much stress??? I was trying to prevent any type of connection error on my part, and I ended up creating an error on the DSC side!!! Arrrrggggh!

Thanks for reading my wordy post(s). It does mean a lot to me.  Seriously.

Randy V

On 9/4/07, Randy Visentine <randyman(at)gmail.com (randyman(at)gmail.com)> wrote: [quote] Thanks Roland.

--
Randy V.
Houston, TX
Audio-Dude/Musician/Crazy Guy
[b]

- The Matronics XDP4000X-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?XDP4000X-List
randyman(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Getting a "380 Error" when trying to access CNW Edit in DSC Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Dan. This is actually a "Continuation" from previous list E-Mails (see them here: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=31631&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= ).

I have tried 2 different laptops, neither works (one Win98, one XP).  The problem is that the presets INSIDE the XDP contain the "Negative Infinity dB" level settings for the High-Pass Channels - so even if I open the DSC Soctware, and try to connect to the XDP's CNW Editor, I get the error (this "Invalid Setting" exists INSIDE the XDP, as well as in the saved Preset Files on my PC).

Once I get my Car-PC Componets rounded up, I might try to create new CNW Presets "Offline", and then try to upload them using the DSC's "Upload to DSP" Function (bypassing the CNW Editor page).  I think this might work, but I am worried that it will cause some other problem, making my XDP completely worthless in the process. This would be easy enough to try, but I'm reluctant when I think about what could go wrong (this is why I want to wait until my CarPC is ready to "Take Over" in case the XDP fails altogether)

Has anyone ever recoverd from any type of error like this?

Thanks again for your time...

Randy V

On 9/6/07, DB <dbotel6500(at)rogers.com (dbotel6500(at)rogers.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hmm...

I'm guessing that you'll have to try a few things:
- Try a different laptop (preferrably with Windows 2000, and a real serial port)
- In the install directory, are the invalid CNW files. I would try and edit one using
either wordpad, and reset all invalid settings back to zero. My guess is that the
software is trying to load the invalid settings, and crashing. Best bet would be to
install the software on an older laptop, and see if you can fire it up.

I remember back in the day when I was hand-editing my files that it would crash when
loading up, but it was due to the fact that I was going past the crossover limits, and would
just balk at them. I'd have to rewrite the files to get it up and going.

As for a hard reset, I don't think it exists. When I got mine, it was really whacked out on
settings, and boy, was I glad to find the software! Wink

Good luck!

Dan

Randy Visentine wrote:
Quote:
The new Null-Modem cable did not help. Not looking good IMO, but I *Think* I know what caused all of this B.S. I beg you - PLEASE read this when you get time. I'm desperate at this point, and I have a good idea where the problem lies - I just need help fixing it.

FYI - Abbreviatons: DSC = Sony's "Digital Sound Creator" software editor; XDP = XDP-4000x; CNW = The XDP's Crossover/Level/Delay settings screen (just to make sure this translates)

A few points: The DSC error I recive is specifically stated as "Run-Time error '380': Invalid Property Value"

Another interesting point: The last time I had the DSC CNW Editor Working succsessfully with the XDP, I saved a few preset files to the PC. When I open those saved CNW Files "Offline", the DSC Application indicates "An invalid setting exists in this file", and closes the application. This seems to coincide with the error I'm getting when trying to connect to the XDP's CNW settings.

The Crux: I think I know what the "Invalid Property Value" is. The last time I succsessfully had the DSC CNW Editor working, I cranked both of the High-Pass (Tweeter) Outputs to "-Infinity dB", essentially muting the Tweeter Outputs (I am no longer using the high-pass/tweeter outputs as my tweets will soon come in at 798Hz or 1.25KHz!!!!). Now when I hook up the Laptop and connect the DSC Software to the XDP, and select "CNW" (As the 'Error 380' Pop-Up Box appears), I see the DSC's High-Pass channels attempting to set the High-Pass channels to +12dB (see this pic for a screen-shot: http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7342/dscerrors2cq8.jpg ). Interesting, huh? None of the X-Over's graphic display will load, and you can cleary see the "High" channels set to +12dB!!! (I set them to 'Negative Infinity', NOT to '+12dB'!!!) As we all know, the CNW X-Over section only allows a maximum of +6dB of boost per output channel (a setting of +12dB is impossible). So I'm assuming the DSC Software is somehow reading (Inverting perhaps) the "Negative Infinity" setting as a "+12dB" setting since +12dB is impossible to select on the XDP. How's that for a "Software Bug"? Baaaahhhhh! Sad

I also DL'ed and tried the DSC version 2.0 available from Matt's site, but it exhibited the SAME issues. It seems these new XDP CNW presets are "Corrupted" as far as the DSC Software is concerned.

Basically, I think I need a way to get the XDP back to its Factory Settings. Is such a "Factory Reset" possible? Removing +12v does not erase the preset memory, and I don't see any type of a "Reset" button on the XDP (I know the C90 has a physical "Reset" Button, but I don't see any such button on the XDP).

Since this problem began, I haven't attempted to upload any new CNW Presets via the DSC Software, as I fear I will loose all of my current presets (that would really suck!). I'm thiking if I created all new CNW Presets "Offline" using the DSC Software, then the DSC's "Upload to DSP" function might work (Create all new Presets offilne, and then try to upload them to the XDP - hopefully "Overwriting" the corrupted presets in the process). I am VERY reluctant to try this, as I fear I will loose my current CNW Presets that are still working in my current setup (I'm worried the upload will fail, and I will be stuck with a "Bricked" XDP-4000x with the "Factory CNW Presets" which are essentially useless with my system). At the same time - even if this DOES fail (and it erases all of my current CNW presets), I'm thinking it would still overwrite the 'corrupted' preset files, and let me back into the DSC CNW Editor (Make sense?). I am really scared to try this (I'm sure you can understand why).

I am desperate, and I would be willing to reimburse any XDP List Member that can help me at this point!!! Information on executing a "Factory Reset", or any confirmation if creating new CNW Presets "Offline" (Using the DSC Software) and then 'Uploading' them to the XDP might work would be greatly appreciated.

I wish I never would have set those High-Pass channels to "- Infinity dB". Who could have known this would cause me so much stress??? I was trying to prevent any type of connection error on my part, and I ended up creating an error on the DSC side!!! Arrrrggggh!

Thanks for reading my wordy post(s). It does mean a lot to me.  Seriously.

Randy V

On 9/4/07, Randy Visentine <randyman(at)gmail.com (randyman(at)gmail.com) > wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Roland.

--
Randy V.
Houston, TX
Audio-Dude/Musician/Crazy Guy

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?XDP4000X-List">
href="http://forums.matronics.com">
http://forums.matronics.com

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?XDP4000X-List" target="_blank">
href="http://forums.matronics.com/" target="_blank">
http://forums.matronics.com

--
Randy V.
Houston, TX
Audio-Dude/Musician/Crazy Guy [quote][b]

- The Matronics XDP4000X-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: