Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic Exhaust Downpipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
william(at)wrmills.plus.c

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Classic Exhaust Downpipes Reply with quote

Dear All,
I have just purchased a third set of Classic exhaust downpipes. The original rear port downpipe (mild steel) fractured and blew a hole on the outside of the bend after 485 hours. This affected the engine so badly that I had to limit the power to produce an extended glide to make an emergency down wind landing. I replaced the whole exhaust system (stainless steel).
I have just discovered a hairline fracture with grey exhaust deposit on the outside of the bend on the starboard rear downpipe, so I have purchased a set of replacement downpipes at 936 hours. I may decide to replace the lot, or both rear, or one pipe at a time, to see how the others last, but I am not quite sure.
It might be useful if others who have had to replace all or part of the exhaust systems, on either Classics or XSs give a short report so that we can see if there is any trend associated with hours and position of any fracture.
I thought the first fracture might have been caused by the box having to hang off the down pipes, causing additional stress when operating over rough ground, so I asked Andy to weld some hanger lugs on the replacement box so that I could support it off the crankcase at the front and off the engine bearers at the back, but that did not appear to be any help. In fact the second set only lasted 451 hours!
If anyone has any bright ideas, I would be most interested.
Still on exhaust matters, has anyone tried to seal the leakage from the spigot and socket joints between the down pipes and the box stubs? I still get some CO in the cockpit when climbing under full power, so I was thinking of sealing them with RTV silicone. Has anyone tried that?
Best wishes,
William

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
pete(at)lawless.info

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Classic Exhaust Downpipes Reply with quote

Morning William

G-RMAC is a Classic with 912ul and had the originally supplied mild
steel exhaust. The front left down pipe split at 180 hours. The split
followed the line of the weld where the pipe had been manufactured and
was approximately 2 inches long. Now running with stainless, but only
done 40 hours or so on that. Having heard about early problems with
downpipes I had supported my silencer box with a strap to the engine
mount, obviously this did not help and I have now removed it.

Regards

Pete

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

william(at)wrmills.plus.c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Classic Exhaust Downpipes Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Peter.
I was hoping the response from the forum would have been better, so that we
could see the range of hours before replacement and if others have taken any
measurers to extend the life. I thought mild steel would have been more
durable than stainless from the point of view of stress fractures, but
perhaps not.
If anyone else has any contributions on this subject, please let us know.
Best wishes,
William

Do not archive

---

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Classic Exhaust Downpipes Reply with quote

William,
You asked the same question in August of 2003!

Rgds.,
Duncan McF
do not archive
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: