Painting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
bsponcil(at)belinblank.or
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Anyone on the list planning to paint their -10? I'm currently debating it
and am wondering what others thought. I'm not considering it as a way to
save money but rather as a "fun" challenge. Of course the wife thinks I'm
nuts and I probably am. Still, I'm wondering if there are some people on our
list that have painted a previous RV-<insert 3-9 here> project and would
like to pass on their opinions.

FWIW - a guy in our EAA chapter just finished his -7 which he painted
himself in a 4 color military scheme. He was really happy with the way it
turned out but said painting was a LONG and TEDIOUS process and he'd
probably elect to forgo it if he ever does another project.

-Brian

N211BD
#40497

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
jhasbrouck(at)woh.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Brian,
Check Tim Olsen's web site. He painted his -10 and it looks great!

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
johncram(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Look at Tom Olsen's

do not archive
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
randy(at)romeolima.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone on the list planning to paint their -10? I'm currently debating it
and am wondering what others thought. I'm not considering it as a way to
save money but rather as a "fun" challenge. Of course the wife thinks I'm
nuts and I probably am. Still, I'm wondering if there are some people on
our list that have painted a previous RV-<insert 3-9 here> project and
would like to pass on their opinions.

FWIW - a guy in our EAA chapter just finished his -7 which he painted
himself in a 4 color military scheme. He was really happy with the way it
turned out but said painting was a LONG and TEDIOUS process and he'd
probably elect to forgo it if he ever does another project.

You know, I painted my RV-8 and didn't think it was especially long and
tedious compared to other stages of the construction. Overall I'm glad I did
it and plan to repeat the process for the RV-3 I'm currently building. If
you're curious, my RV-8 paint experience is detailed here...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Paint.htm

Randy Lervold
www.rv-3.com
www.rv-8.com

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
n8vim(at)arrl.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Tom? You mean Tim has a brother?!
*hehe*

John Cram wrote:

[quote] Look at Tom Olsen's

do not archive

---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
carl.froehlich(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

You built the rest of the plane - why not paint it?

I painted my RV-8A, I'll paint my RV-10. Paint set up was a make shift
paint booth in the hanger, wings and empennage painted off the fuselage
(highly recommended as you can rotate the wings while painting). I used PPG
Concept base coat, clear coat. Highly recommended for the amateur painter -
like me. I did a hard paint scheme that had a pearl yellow as the dominant
color. The RV-10 will NOT have this color!!

It does take time. I did one 400 grit wet sanding of the primer before top
coat. The nice to have fiberglass touches like filling in the rib ends of
the control surfaces and wing tips are the top time killers.

Carl Froehlich
--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Tim(at)MyRV10.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Hell, I'm not even related to Tom Olsen....our last names
are even different. Wink

Tim Olson -- RV-10 #40170
Now FLYING!

DO NOT ARCHIVE

John Cram wrote:

> Look at Tom Olsen's
>
> do not archive
>
> ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Rick S.

Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Location: Las Vegas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

The tedious and long part doesn't bother me...it's having the right place to do it. Tim had a paint booth available, even room for a properly filtered homemade booth would be good. Make sure you use intrinsically safe electrical motors on your ventilation fans. Careful of the good ol' EPA and airport restrictions if your heading to the hangar to paint. Check with local autobody shops..they may have the facility for you to use off hours..just get the prep done at home and plan on a few good (read long) nights in the booth. It will make a difference in the quality of your final product.

Aircraft/automotive paint can be downright lethal if the right breathing and eye protection are not used....most people forget that the eyes will absorb dangerous levels of toxins when you get to concentration levels that are reached during spray painting. HVLP has lowered the levels in parts per million but you will still need a full face fresh air supplied respirator.

Lastly...make sure your health is good enough to sustain extended time in a respirator. The fed's require employers to have their employees tested to make sure they can function safely in the masks. Sorry for the ramble, safety engineer by profession seeping through.

Rick S.
40185
Fuselage

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Rick S.
RV-10
40185
zackrv8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Reply with quote

Brian,

I painted my RV8 3 times. The first 2 times with Dupont Imron and the last with PPG Concept. I like the PPG products better. They flow much better than Imron. I used base coat/clear coat on all three. Definitely the way to go for a beginner.

You should paint it if you can. It is a very messy, time consuming, and back breaking work but it is also very rewarding. Do it if you can.

Zack

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512
Tim(at)MyRV10.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

I found the PRE-painting process to be long, tedious, and miserable.
I found the painting process to be pretty interesting, and fun,
and a good learning experience. If I could do it all over again, I'd
be happy to do it the same way I did...get someone you can pay on the
side to help do your sanding, filling, and that tough work. You'll
pay a LOT for a paint job if you need all that stuff done by someone
else anyway. Then when it comes time to spray, it shouldn't be too
hard to find someone who can give you a hand, and the process is pretty
quick. I even did the colors in my 3 car pole shed garage, with no
filters, just fans in the door. (It was cold out though, so it was
NOT the buggy season.) From a dust perspective, it wasn't bad
and the results were satisfactory.

I guess it all depends. If I were going for a show plane, I'd have
pros do it, but then I'd expect to pay $10,000+. For anything
less, you're going to pay a lot of money that you'll save if you
do it yourself.

Tim Olson -- Flying RV-10
#40170
do not archive
Brian Sponcil wrote:
[...]

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

   I am a firm believer that a good paint job is 95% preparation and 5% shooting the paint.  The big factor in an amateur having a good paint job is where they get tired of the prep work and say screw it.  You can always fix sags and runs but it's much more difficult to fix the underlying base.  For me preparation includes not only the surface but the tools and location.  If you have a poor quality gun you will have to be a much better painter to compensate.  If your space is dirty you will have much more final sanding and buffing.  If you use dirty air lines you will get fisheyes and other defects.

  I am dedicating an air hose to nothing but painting.  When it is not needed it will be rolled up and stored with the gun.  I am also going to use a SATAJet RP2 Gun and will have 3 stage filtering on the air line prior to that hose.  I will also be making a paint booth either from scratch or using something like the 10x20 car port that Northern Tools sells for something like $150 with sides and a zippered front.

  Painting your own airplane shouldn't seem like a brick barrier, after all you just built an aircraft.  Just don't expect it to take a day to do it.  Anyone can accomplish a show quality paint job it just may take more work than the guy that does it every day.  Prep is what you are really paying for in that $10k paintjob.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage
Do not archive

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours