Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repairing damaged UltraStar wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undoctor(at)rcn.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Repairing damaged UltraStar wing Reply with quote

Hello Kolb builders,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a general question about repairing a damaged wing from a wind storm breaking a tiedown and flipping the plane on its side. I appreciate the emails I got, but now that I can talk about it without crying, I'd like some response from you pros who have built Kolbs to a specific question.

There are three points of damage, the trailing edge of the aileron between two of the ribs, the device inside the wing where the bolt used to hold the folded wing screws into is bent from the impact and the bolt is about 15 degrees off, and the tube which forms the cross section shape of the inboard end of the wing has a bend. My specific question is: from your experience and knowledge, which is 100% more than mine, is it feasible to make a cut in the fabric just large enough to make the repair and then glue and shrink a patch? Or will it be necessary to uncover the entire wing, make the repairs and completely recover it again?

I sure would appreciate any insight those who have experience with the covering aspect of my US. I can take some pics and email them to you if ift would help to make a more accurate recommendation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave Kulp

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Repairing damaged UltraStar wing Reply with quote

Dave what kind of paint is on your plane? Aerothane or Poly Tone it will make
a difference on how you will go about your repairs and pictures would be of
some help

Ellery

do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Repairing damaged UltraStar wing Reply with quote

If the damage is fairly localized, it is almost always feasible to cut
off a small amount of fabric and do a localized repair. Depending on
what sort of finish was used, it can get a bit complicated, but getting
the new finish to adhere to the old is usually not that big a deal, at
worst you might not be totally satisfied with the cosmetics. If you know
what finish was used, that would help. If you don't know, then call Jim
or Dondi Miller and ask them for advice, I could give you my opinion,
but why not ask a professional? The only real question is if it will be
easy, or a bit of a nuisance.

Several years ago, I had a situation where the fabric shrinking on my
J-6 caused the lightweight built-up wood ribs to buckle just ahead of
the trailing edge. Upon the advice of an A&P, I cut off the trailing
edge fabric within about 6" of the trailing edge, cut a bit of the rib
stitching loose along the aft part of the rib, and lifted a couple
inches of the fabric forward along the ribs, top and bottom. Repaired
and reinforced the ribs, and then pulled the fabric back down,
overlapped new fabric over the old, and bonded the finishes together.
Since I was using Randolph, they bonded very well. Reattached and shrunk
the repair and with a couple extra coats of silver, and lots of
sanding, it was almost un noticeable. That was twenty years ago, and it
is still holding up.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

David Kulp wrote:
Quote:

Hello Kolb builders,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a general question about repairing a damaged wing from a wind storm breaking a tiedown and flipping the plane on its side. I appreciate the emails I got, but now that I can talk about it without crying, I'd like some response from you pros who have built Kolbs to a specific question.

There are three points of damage, the trailing edge of the aileron between two of the ribs, the device inside the wing where the bolt used to hold the folded wing screws into is bent from the impact and the bolt is about 15 degrees off, and the tube which forms the cross section shape of the inboard end of the wing has a bend. My specific question is: from your experience and knowledge, which is 100% more than mine, is it feasible to make a cut in the fabric just large enough to make the repair and then glue and shrink a patch? Or will it be necessary to uncover the entire wing, make the repairs and completely recover it again?

I sure would appreciate any insight those who have experience with the covering aspect of my US. I can take some pics and email them to you if ift would help to make a more accurate recommendation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave Kulp

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Repairing damaged UltraStar wing Reply with quote

Brother Pike has good info. It all comes down to cosmetics, ambition,
and $$$$.
If the existing cover is in good shape and you want to fly instead of
polish...
(that's making shiny, brother Swiderski) patching is nearly always
feasible.
If the existing paint is ultra thick then you may want to do some
stripping in the
overlap area before you cut the fabric. Otherwise some sandpaper to
rough up the
glue area will suffice. Since the ends are not overlapping you will
need at least
3 inch tape or cut a wider strip from a piece of dacron.

I did my new left wing cover using only 2" tape. Since there is an
overlap of the
basic cover the 3" stuff isn't required. -hey, we are still subsonic!
Happy sniffing, BB
On 7, Feb 2006, at 11:21 AM, David Kulp wrote:

Quote:

Hello Kolb builders,

Dave Kulp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: