Ram Engines...Good? or Bad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

If your looking for an endorsement of Ram Performance then I can tell
you that Ron Carr I probably the most knowlegable guy in the country as
far as the EA 81 engine goes. Ron came up with the only bullet proof way
to ensure valve giudes will not fall out of the heads on these motors.

I wrote an article on the subject for Kitplanes magazine (August last
year I think).

Do a Google search on my name and you will find many web postings on the
whole sorry saga...But Ron fixed it (and many other engines) for good.

His quality work is of the highest standard.

http://www.ramengines.com/

Frank Hinde

--

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

Just to bang on a bit more about Ram, I personally would not go anywhere
else for an EA81 conversion.

I did and I was very very sorry..!

After Ron sorted it it was (and still is in the hands of its new owner)
perfectly reliable.

I will be out of town next week but if you want to email me directly I
would be glad to give you phone number and we can talk directly. There
is nothing worse than wondering if the engine is about to quit on you
when all you can see is trees, believe me I know!

Frank
601 HDS 400 hours when I sold it last year.

--

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

For more info on EA 81's go to the Zenith list and the Stratus list on
Matronics....Lots and lots of discussion on those lists about various
conversions.

Cheers

Frank

--

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
klehman(at)albedo.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

Hi Darin
I have no knowledge of that conversion. I'd be skeptical of 140 hp
unless it has a turbo though. In general the EA81 is an excellent
engine. Chuck Kondas has an entertaining book about his stock
junkyard EA81 turbo that he broke 1,000 hours with. The bigger question
might be "do you want to fly behind an engine that is tweaked that
much"? Might be fine if you can find a few RAM users with several
hundred flight hours. There are a couple of Subaru lists on yahoo that
you might want to search. I've heard RAM mentioned from time to time. In
my mind if you want 100+ true hp., I'd look at a larger engine for
reliability. Guys who actually weigh their entire EA81 installations
come out more like 250 lbs with a redrive but no turbo which means they
can't outperform a 912S and in some cases have nose heavy airplanes. I
am very pleased with my soob but I'll be the first to admit that a
conversion almost always costs more than a used rotax or Lyc. and takes
longer. Maintenance and operating costs should be lower than a Lyc. but
you won't be asking an FBO to fix it for you and that engine has been
out of production for a long time now. Insurance may be an issue for you
with a conversion but I had no trouble.

Ken
internally stock ej22, derated to 120 hp, estimated 320 lbs installed,
60 flight hours, single lever EFI engine control, quiet muffler, no
preheat required, no shock cooling issues, no expensive AD's, 4 to 5.5
USgph depending on how fast I go but it prefers unleaded no alcohol fuel.

darinh wrote:

>I asked this on the Kitfox list because that is what I am building and
contemplating a EA81 - Ram Conversion. The question is: What is the
general concensus on Ram Engines and the EA81? Does anyone have any
experience with Ron and what are your thoughts of his product? I am
looking for an engine with good power that will get me in and out of the
backcountry in my Series 7 Kiftox. I like the looks of his website and
the specs on his engines...can anyone tell me if he really is getting
140 hp out of the EA81 and does it really come in at ~200 lbs installed?
If so, it seems that it should outperform any Rotax hands down!

>Anyone with any insight/experience/flight time with one of his
engines, your comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,
>
>Darin Hawkes
>Kitfox Series 7

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
Ricchardd(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

I have a RAM 140 engine in a Zenith 601 XL. Yes it put out 141 HP on a dyno, Very strong and smooth
Richard N601ZT

AOL now offertle="http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339" href="http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339" target="_blank">AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
purplemoon99(at)bellsouth
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

Okay, Darin, let's talk about the RAM engine.

First of all, the only part of that engine that is Subaru is the block,
crank shaft, and cam shaft. After
that all of the other parts have been improved by Ron over the last 25 years
including reworking the block putting more pins in it, cutting more oil
journals, etc. It has cast aluminum forged pistons, new main and rod
bearings, new water pump, new oil pump, stainless steel new intake valves,
stainless steel exhaust valves, high performance valve springs, reground cam
and lifters, extra bushings on the mains, extra oiling to the thrust main
that is also teflon coated, flowed dual port heads, tuned exhaust and a lot
more goodies. It really isn't a Subaru anymore; it's a RAM.

I just purchased one six months ago and it's climbing at over 1800 fpm on my
601XL. (you need to run a Prince PT Prop) It is one fine engine. My
engine is not 140 hp; mine is 130 hp. The engine block and internal parts
are the same as the 140;
the 140 has electronic fuel injection and mine has a throttle body. (I
suggest the electronic fuel injection; it's much better) There are a lot
more goodies in the engine that make it a lot better than I've stated. If
you really want to know about it, go to his website at info(at)ramengines.com

I'm very happy with mine. Although I would like to add this, if you're
thinking seriously of buying a RAM engine, you need to give him plenty of
lead time as he is not spitting these engines out. Just remember, Ron is
a custom engine builder. And, as far as I can tell, he is the BEST out
there, bar none.

As far as the weight, mine does weigh under 200 lbs. and I'm sure it would
blow the wings off of a 912S and I don't have a turbo. If you think you
want a turbo engine, Ron has a 200 hp turbo that can compete with anything
out there.

THANKS.

Joe N101HD

P.S. The last test flight mine jumped off the ground at 150 ft.

---

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
NYTerminat(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

Joe,

How does Ram compare with Eggenfeller?

In a message dated 3/25/2007 6:49:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, purplemoon99(at)bellsouth.net writes:
Quote:
--> Engines-List message posted by: "Southern Reflections" <purplemoon99(at)bellsouth.net>

[...]

--> Engines-List message posted by: "darinh" <gerns25(at)netscape.net>

I asked this on the Kitfox list because that is what I am building and
contemplating a EA81 - Ram Conversion. The question is: What is the
general concensus on Ram Engines and the EA81? Does anyone have any
experience with Ron and what are your thoughts of his product? I am
looking for an engine with good power that will get me in and out of the
backcountry in my Series 7 Kiftox. I like the looks of his website and
the specs on his engines...can anyone tell me if he really is getting 140
hp out of the EA81 and does it really come in at ~200 lbs installed? If
so, it seems that it should outperform any Rotax hands down!

Anyone with any insight/experience/flight time with one of his engines,
your comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darin Hawkes
Kitfox Series 7

the es Day --> - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
bsp; --> ======================

AOL now offersle="http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339" href="http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339" target="_blank">AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

Egg does not do the EA 81 motor I believe.

Frank.

[...]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

[b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
longg(at)pjm.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I have been looking at the Egg H6 which comes with an optional turbo rated 180-210 HP. I would like to compare that with the RAM product for weight etc. Time to do more research.
[quote]
--

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
darinh

Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram Engines...Good? or Bad? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the great input! The more I learn about Ram, the more I am leaning in that direction. If the engine indeed produces 140 hp, which it sounds like it does, and it weighs under 200 lbs, then if should for sure fly the wings of a similar bird powered by a 912S. Thanks again for the info.

Darin

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours