Grass Landing Strip- Distance Required?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
cdewey6969(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Grass Landing Strip- Distance Required? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Do you any pros out there know how many feet are
required for a grass landing strip for a Lightning
(not LSA)? I have a friend who has a 600' strip that
has almost no obstruction on one side, and am trying
to figure out if safe landings and take-offs can be
made there. Charles
--- Daniel DW <ddw55(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

[quote]
<ddw55(at)hotmail.com>

Pete,

you are right, not in Europe ...
I thought that a certificate was required in the USA
under "14 CFR Part 36
Appendix G"???
If this is not required in the USA it is unlikely
that I will find a similar
configuration somewhere else.

Thanks for your reply and have a great weekend.

Daniel

>From: "Pete" <pete(at)flylightning.net>
>To: <lightning-list(at)matronics.com>
>Subject: RE: Noise certificate
>Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:02:44 -0500

<pete(at)flylightning.net>

>Daniel,
>
>I don't know of another Esqual with that prop
flying in Europe. There are
>few in the USA but no certificate is required.
>
>Pete
>
>--

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Back to top
flying(at)qdea.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Grass Landing Strip- Distance Required? Reply with quote

I have a Titan Tornado II which stalls clean at 40 mph. With flaps
the stall speed is about 35 mph.

I wouldn't consider attempting to land on an arbitrary grass runway
shorter than 1000 feet, except for very special circumstances.

The Lightning stalls faster and has less drag.

The Lightning folks have said that although they would bring a
Lightning into the sun and fun grass strip (which is about 1400'
long), they would only do it with no passenger and lightly loaded.

I'll bet they'll tell you that anything shorter than 1500' is
probably not safe.

Hugh Sontag

Quote:

Hi all,
Do you any pros out there know how many feet are
required for a grass landing strip for a Lightning
(not LSA)? I have a friend who has a 600' strip that
has almost no obstruction on one side, and am trying
to figure out if safe landings and take-offs can be
made there. Charles

--- Daniel DW <ddw55(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Back to top
pete(at)flylightning.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Grass Landing Strip- Distance Required? Reply with quote

I used to fly my Titan II / Jabiru 2200 into and out of a friend's 800 ft
strip all the time. No problems. The Titan will stall a bit slower than
the Lightning but does not land any slower because if you try to slow the
Titan to land close to stall speed it is in a nose high attitude where the
tail wheel will hit the ground when the mains are still a foot or more in
the air causing the aircraft to slam down on the mains as soon as the tail
hits. Touchdown speeds are actually about the same between the two
aircraft.

I would not advocate flying into a 600 ft strip, though, although it
probably could be done. Piloting skills would have to be top notch and any
little misjudgment would result in running off the end of the runway.

Pete

--

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours

You cannot download files in this forum